Gauging public reaction to the announcement of big brand news can be tricky. Unless of course, there is a hashtag associated with the breaking news.
On Tuesday, October 30, Disney set off a Twitter frenzy among fans, announcing that it would buy LucasFilms for $4.05 billion. The response from Star Wars fans was mixed. Many fans tweeted that they were excited about the prospect of new Star Wars movies, such as Episode 7, rumored to hit the screens in 2015. Others fans expressed concern that the Disney buyout would lead to ruination of the Empire. All the fans used the #DisneyStarWars Hashtag.
The transcript of this hashtag was an amusing read – not only for fans. It’s useful information for Disney marketers, trendwatchers and competitive brands as well.
Some happy fan responses:
- This means my daughter will finally get to be a Disney princess.
- Woah! Just found out Princess Leia is now a Disney Princess. Wicked awesome!
- How freaking exciting is this??
- I’m so happy about this news and absolutely terrified! Disney can do awesome stuff but it can be a bit too much.
- I have faith in Disney that they will do a great Job with Starwars
- I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
- The seven dwarves strike back!
- Okay let’s do this. I’ll start. Snow White and the Seven Uganauts
- So wait: Darth Vader is Luke’s father and also a lion?
- Snow white and the seven wookies.
- Hahahaha RT “@DepressedDarth: This means my daughter will finally get to be a Disney princess
- If Miley Cyrus is in any Starwars movie, I might cry
- Revenge of the Dwarf
- When you wish a upon a deathstar
Responses predicting the downfall of the Empire:
- Disney bought Lucasfilms and is now making another Star Wars… That’s gonna suck!!!
- Admiral Akbar is not impressed
- Do you hear that? Obi-Wan just rolled over in his grave.
- … I felt a great disturbance in the force. As if millions of nerds suddenly cried out in terror. I swear I did.
- Afraid Disney will put annoying and cute characters, cheesy dialogue, and bogus science into ‘Star Wars?’ Too late.
- No. That’s not true. Thats Impossible. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
- did we learn nothing ffrom the Phantom menace? #disneystarwars Leave it alone!
- #disneystarwars is the WORST idea since they thought Jar Jar Binks wouldn’t be an incredibly annoying character.
- I know I am going to watch every film they release and hate myself for it.
- The company that gave us The Avengers & Wall-E are TOTALLY going to screw up the company that gave us The Phantom Menace and Crystal Skull!
#DisneyStarWars was a great example of hashtag storytelling in the wake of a news event.